Today’s rendez-vous point was Clerkenwell’s The Well. Selected for its convenient proximity to our new digs, this was our first meal at this spot, which we had previously only visited for a drink or two.
Not joining us is Dag, who despite asking specifically to come along this Sunday, cancelled on Friday. Werder Bremen weren’t playing today, but we’re sure there’s a good reason for his absence.
We settled in at the venue, only to find that Oscar had overslept.
Being a polite lot, we waited for his arrival to place our orders. The waitress fed us bread as a bit of a consolation prize and despite getting a late start to order, we at no point were hurried.
The Well’s Sunday menu boasts both a brunch and a lunch section, but we stayed on plan and stuck to the lunch offerings.
- Roast fore-rib of beef, Yorkshire pudding, creamed horseradish (Vera, Roland, Oscar, & Franc)
- Billingsgate Fish Pie (Darren)
- and because we like to eat… dessert!
- Golden syrup pudding, custard (Darren)
- Pear tart tatin, vanilla ice cream (Vera)
- Selection of British cheeses, oatcakes and quince jelly: Mrs Bell’s Blue, Spenwood, Isle of Avalon, Tovey, Smoked Gubbeen (split by Franc & Oscar)
Observations: (collective and individual)
- I received everything I wanted, as I wanted it. I asked for a more rare piece of beef, and the server gave me the rarest serving on the table. (Oscar)
- I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. The dining area’s design is well executed but in no way unique. (Roland)
- My faith and will to live are restored (Roland, stillscarred from his last roast)
- I like the aesthetic of the brick walls, windows, and blue window trim. (Vera)
- The Roast was served with plenty of vegetables, horseradish sauce, and amuch appreciated little boat of gravy. (Franc)
- The Oatcakes with the cheeseboard were crunchy, delicious, and not too thick, and I usually won’t eat oatcakes because I think they take from the cheese experience. I also liked (aka: devoured) the generous ramekin of quince. (Franc)
- Nice, clean, modern space. (Darren)
- Good list of whiskeys (Oscar)
- Fishtank in the basement is nifty. (Franc)
- The sliced lemons in the water are a nice touch. (Franc)
- The staff was very understanding about our late friend (Darren)
- I have a new favorite dessert (Darren, who also declared last week’s pub as his favorite dessert… it seems the torch has been passed)
On to the scores: (awarded on these guidelines)